A simple but very indulgent chocolate cake with an orange syrup which keeps it ever so moist.
- 50g dark chocolate
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g butter
- 200g self-raising flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g cocoa powder
- 2 oranges, zest of 2, juice of 1
- 1.5 tbsp Chopped Stem Ginger in syrup
- 150g Sugar Syrups
- 120ml sugar
- 1 orange
- 400g Dark Chocolate
- 400g Double Cream
- 300g Galaxy Golden Eggs
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line & grease two cake tins.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of boiling water.
In a separate bowl cream the sugar and butter together.
Add the orange zest and juice and the melted chocolate and combine together.
Slowly beat in the eggs induvidiually and combine well.
Sift in the baking powder, flour and cocoa powder and fold until well combined.
Then add in the stem ginger and combine well.
Divide the batter between the two cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
To make the sugar syrup. Heat the sugar, juice and zest of an orange and water in a pan until the sugar has dissolved.
While the cakes are hot use skewer to poke holes all over the cake, then pour the syrup over. Then Leave to cool completely before removing them from their tins.
For the ganache, warm the double cream in a saucepan until it reach the stage just before boiling.
- In a bowl place the chocolate which has been diced up small. You over the hot cream and allow to stand for 1-2min.
- Stir the melted chocolate and cream together and pour half into a piping with an open star nozzle and place both of the mixture in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut a hole in the bottom cake and pour in the golden eggs.
- Remove both of the ganaches out of the fridge and using the piping bag pipe on the double layer of ganache.
- Place the other cake layer on top and pour over the chocolate ganache to the top to the edges.
- Place in the fridge and allow to set.
- On one side of the cake make a chocolate crown with the rest of the golden eggs ( use some of the remaining ganache as a glue).
- Place back in the fridge to set and remove when ready to serve.