These Pastéis de Nata have perfectly crispy pastry, creamy custard filling every time.
- 250ml milk
- 1 lemon, zest
- 100g caster sugar
- 30g plain flour
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 75ml water
- 3 egg yolks
- 320g puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- To make the custard, heat the milk in a saucepan on a low heat with 2 big strips of lemon zest and the cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer and remove the lemon zest and cinnamon stick.
- Mix the milk with flour and stir until it forms a smooth paste and return to the heat and whisk constantly for a couple of minute until it thickens
- In a separate saucepan heat the water and the sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Then bring to the boil for 2.5 minutes until it form a clear thick syrup.
- Whisk the sugar mixture in to the milk mixture and allow to cool slightly.
- Ina bowl whisk the egg yolks and slowly add in the milk mixture and pour into a jug to cool.
- Roll the puff pastry up and slice in to 20 discs. Flatten the disc into each of the tart tin moulds and use a wet finger the push the pastry out to the edges.
- pour the custard into the pastry cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the custard is caramelised and set.
- Dust on cinnamon and serve.