A lovely alternative to the tradition hot cross bun. These Hot Cross muffin are full of flavour and ideal for Easter weekend.
- 300ml full fat milk
- 50g butter
- 500g strong bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 75g caster sugar
- 70g plain flour
- 7g yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 oranges, zest
- Â½Â tsp cinnamon
- Â½ ground nutmeg
- 100g dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade
- 2tsp vegetable oil
- In a pan heat the butter and milk to a boil and then allow to cool down on the side until 40Â°C
- In a large bowl pour in the bread flour, caster sugar, 1tsp salt and yeast (keep the yeast and salt on separate sides of the bowl).
- Once the milk and butter have reached the required temperature pour into the bowl with an egg and combine with a wooden spoon
- pour the dough out and Knead the dough for five minutes until it is smooth.
- Place the dough in a clean well oiled bowl and allow to prove for an hour in a warm place or until it doubles in size.
- While proving mix together the dark chocolate chips, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg it a bowl.
- Once the dough has proved knock it back and add the chocolate chips mixture. combined well and allow to prove for another 30 minutes
- After proving divide the mixture into 12 even pieces and place them into oiled muffin mould, cover with clingfilm and allow to prove for another 30 minutes.
- After proving pipe on the cross which it a thick mixture of plain flour and 5 tbsp water. Use a damp finger to cut it off as it will be sticky.
- Place them into a preheated oven at 200Â°C for 20 minutes until they turn golden.
- while in the oven heat up the marmalade in a pan and glaze on to the top once removed from the oven.
- Serve & Enjoy.