Blended raw cashew nuts gives the dish a lovely creamy flavour, therefore it is ideal to be used as a sauce for a vegan mac and cheese. The dish is topped with a homemade vegan parmesan for that added cheese flavour.
Vegan Mac ‘No’ Cheese
- 300 g Macaroni Pasta
- 100 g Raw cashew nuts
- 30 g Nutritional yeast
- Â½ tsp Garlic powder
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 40 g Plain flour
- 500 ml Almond milk
- 30 g Panko breadcrumbs
- 175 g Vegan bacon pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180Â°C fan/200Â°C/gas mark 6.
- Add the macaroni pasta to a large pot of salted water. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and leave to the side with a tea towel over the top to keep moist.
- In a pan cook the vegan bacon pieces according to the package instruction on a medium heat. Scoop out the vegan bacon pieces.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the almond milk to the flour gradually and continue to whisk to prevent lumps. Once all the almond milk is added cook the mixturefor another 2-3 minutes. Adjust the thickness by adding more almond milk or flour.
- In a food processor, place the raw cashew nuts, 10g nutritional yeast and garlic powder, blitz until it forms a crumb like texture. Remove half and leave to one side.
- To the food processor add the sauce, an additional 20g nutritional yeast. Blend the mixture until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the pasta with the vegan bacon pieces and stir until it is evenly coated. Sprinkle over panko breadcrumbs and the remaining cashew mixture and place in the oven for 20 minutes to bake or until the breadcrumb turns golden brown.
If you want to see more recipe, sign up below for free: