The blended whole orange in the cake gives an almost orange marmalade flavour and the ground almonds keeps the cake lovely and moist. This recipe is really easy and only contains 5 ingredients. The recipe also doesn’t use any flour, because I know how hard it is to get at the moment which makes it gluten-free.
EVERYTHING YOUâ€™LL NEED FOR ORANGE & ALMOND CAKE
- An orange
- Ground almonds
- Caster sugar
- Baking Powder
- Icing sugar
You need to cook the whole orange in boiling water. It will take around 45 minutes to soften. When blending the orange it should be the consistency as shown below. You may need to add some water to the blender to get it to a puree.
When you add the orange puree to the cake mixture it will look like below. Pour the mixture into a spring form tin and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Orange & Almond Cake
- 8" inch cake tin
- 1 Orange
- 5 Eggs
- 200 g Caster sugar
- 250 g Ground almonds
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Gently boil the orange in a saucepan of water for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pips from the orange, then place them it in the blender, skin and all. You may need to add a little water to get the right consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 180Â°C fan / 200Â°C.
- Grease a 8" inch round cake tin with butter. Cut a disc of greaseproof paper and use to line the tin
- Beat together the eggs and sugarÂ until light and pale.
- Gently fold in the orange puree, add the ground almonds, baking powder and stir to combine
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30 minutes or until golden on the top.
- Leave to cool in the tin before turning out and serving