Sausage & tomato rigatoni is the perfect midweek meal. This recipe has a homemade creamy tomato sauce, smoked pancetta and tomato & mozzarella sausages with fresh basil.
This pasta dish uses Aldi’s Pork, Tomato & Mozzarella Chipolata to add another depth of flavour. The homemade tomato sauce flavour includes garlic, white onion, double cream, fresh cherry tomatoes and tinned tomatoes all blended down to a thick and velvety sauce.
If you like the look of this pasta dish you may love my really simple Creamy Mushroom Tagliatelle using mushrooms, fresh parsley, cream, garlic, onion, homemade pasta and butter.
This is one of those really simple mid-week meals which is made with store-cupboard ingredients. The homemade tomato sauce takes as long to cook as the rigatoni pasta so all in all the dish won’t take more than 20 minutes tops. The rigatoni is the perfect pasta for this dish. The sauce coats it so well, if you can’t get hold of rigatoni (you should be able to it’s available in most supermarkets), conchiglie would be a great alternative.
Rigatoni takes a little longer to cook than the smaller pasta shapes due to its size. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then add the rigatoni. Make sure you salt the water heavily. Allow to cook, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes until the pasta is al dente.
Sausage & Tomato Rigatoni
- 250 g Rigatoni pasta
- 6 Tomato & mozzarella Sausages
- 85 g Smoked pancetta
- 2 tsp Olive oil
Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 400 g Tinned tomatoes
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- 1 White onion
- 10 Cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 200 ml Double cream
- Sat & Pepper, for seasoning
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Grated parmesan
- Place the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water. Follow packet cooking instructions, normally rigatoni will take 10-12 minutes to cook.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin off of the sausage and portion into small mealball size portions. Cook in a pan on a medium heat with the olive oil after 5 minutes of cooking, add the pancetta to the pan and cook for an addition 5 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, in a pan cook the diced onions with the olive oil, as they begin to soften add the sliced garlic. After a few more minutes add in the tomato sauce and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place the tomato sauce in the blender and loosen it with double cream, to the desired consistency, I added around 200ml.
- Drain the pasta, add in the tomato sauce, sausages and pancetta and stir together.
- Serve with fresh basil leaves and grated parmesan.
If you want to see more recipes like the Sausage & Tomato Rigatoni sign up below for free: