Cheesecake is one of the hardest desserts to veganise but this recipe is not far off. It consists of a crunchy gingernut biscuit base topped with a creamy and zesty lemon cashew filling, finshed off with candied lemon slices.
Vegan Lemon and Ginger Cheesecake
- 200 g Gingernut biscuits
- 100 g Stork block
- 220 g Raw cashew nuts
- 1 Lemon
- 60 g Coconut oil
- 50 ml Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 90 g Maple syrup
- 240 ml Water
- 200 g Sugar
- 1 Lemon
- Pre-soak the raw cashew nuts overnight in water.
- In a food processor, blend the gingernut biscuits until they form a fine crumb.
- In a small saucepan, melt the stork block. Once melted, tip in the gingernut biscuits and mix until evenly coated. Press the gingernut crumb into the bottom of a lined 7 inch loose bottom tin and place in the fridge to set.
- To make the cheesecake mixture, drain the raw cashews and place them in the food processor with the zest and juice of the lemon, melted coconut oil, water, vanilla extract and maple syrup. Blend the mixture until silky smooth.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture on top of the base and place back in the fridge to set.
- Meanwhile, heat the caster sugar and water in a saucepan. Once the sugar has dissolved, place in the finely sliced lemon and simmer in the water for 15 minutes. Once cooked place the lemon pieces on a wired cooling rack.
- Top the cheesecake with the candied lemon pieces before serving.
If you want to see more recipe sign up below: