A simple cherry pie with beautiful flaky pastry and a hint of orange.
- 125g Cold butter
- 250g flour
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- cold water to combine
- 500g frozen cheeries, defrost
- Punnet fresh cherries
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 orange
- To make the pastry blitz the cold butter, plain flour and sugar in a food processor.
- Place in a bowl and keep adding water and mixing with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together (it will take around 4-5 tbsp).
- Cut the pastry in half and wrap the pastry in clingfilm and place back in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and roll out to 1/4 cm thick and with one half place inside a pie tin. With the other half cut the pastry into strips 1.5 cm.
- Allow the frozen cherries to defrost and remove any excess water and pat dry. Mix the frozen cherries with the destoned fresh cherries in a bowl with cornflour, sugar and the zest & juice off an orange.
- Place the cherry mixture in to the pie dish. In the middle place a 5cm circular metal ring.
- Lay the strips on top of the pie starting one side of the ring and move round the middle ring until you are back where you have started.
- Remove the ring and fill the middle with fresh cherries
- Place in a preheated oven at 190Â°C for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve with fresh cream or custard.