Instead of using the traditional slices of bread, I like to use croissants for this bread pudding as they create a light dish and has a richer flavour, which goes ever so well with the CrÃ¨me Anglaise and blueberries!
Croissant bread pudding is perfect for breakfast or brunch. The croissant’s covered in custard goes all gooey and the top crisps up. Bread pudding is just one of those dessert or breakfast choices which is just comforting. Also, bread pudding is very easy to alter as you can use a variety of breads or flavoured custards.
The recipe works perfectly with frozen blueberries which also makes it more cost effective. The blueberries and croissant’s are dusted in cinnamon and grated nutmeg before the homemade custard is poured on top!
The bread pudding is then placed in the oven for 40 minutes, this allows the custard to set properly and to create a gooey filling with a crispy top. This can be eaten as a breakfast or brunch or even as a dessert and can be served hot or cold!
Croissant & Blueberry Bread Pudding
- 4 Croissants
- 150 g Frozen blueberries
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Â½ tsp Grated nutmeg
- 400 ml Double cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 Eggs
- 100 g Granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven at 180Â°C.
- Slice the croissants in half length ways, place the tops to the side. With the bottom half of the croissants, cut into square piece and place them into the baking dish.
- Place in the frozen blueberries and sprinkle over the grated nutmeg and ground cinnamon.
- In a pan heat up the double cream and granulated sugar until it reaches just before boiling.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs together. Gradually add the double cream mixture whilst continuing to whisk. If you add too much at once it will scramble the eggs and you will have to start again or run the mixture through a sieve.
- Once you have mixed all of the heated liquid into the eggs, stir in the vanilla extract and pour over the croissant and blueberries. Place the tops of the croissant on top, pressing down slight so they absorb some of the custard.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Server either hot or allow to cool, then place it in the fridge if you are eating it cold.