Perfect homemade lemon muffins are soft and moist, bursting with a zingy lemon flavour, and topped with a creamy lemon buttercream. A really simple recipe packed with fresh flavours.
EVERYTHING YOU’LL NEED FOR THE LEMON MUFFINS
- Vegetable oil
- Self-raising flour
- Caster sugar
- Icing sugar
This muffin recipe is so versatile, lots of the ingredients can be switched out if you don’t have them. If you don’t have any oil, you can switch it out for 70g of melted butter.
This buttercream is the perfect consistency to be soft and creamy but to also form that buttercream crust as it has twice as much icing sugar to butter.
Lemon Muffins with Zingy Lemon Buttercream
- 125 ml Vegetable oil
- 250 g Caster sugar
- 250 ml Milk
- 400 g Self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Lemon, zest only
- 500 g Icing sugar
- 250 g Butter, softened
- ½ Lemon, juice
- 3 Lemon, zest
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan/ gas 4 and fill a 12 muffin tray with cases.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the milk and the vegetable oil beat until just combined then add the casterÂ sugar and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold in the sieved self-raising flour and salt. You don't want to over mix the mixture as this can lead to a muffin with a tough texture.
- Then fold in the zest of the lemon.
- Split the mixture between the 12 muffin cases, but don't fill above Â¾ of the cases.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Then place on a wired cooling rack.
- To make the buttercream, in a bowl, beat together the softened butter and icing sugar.
- Then add the lemon juice with the zest, to loose the mixture slightly.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag.
- Pipe the mixture in top of the fully cooled muffins.
- Decorate with a fresh slice of lemon before serving.