Layers of delicious creamy custard, whipped cream, rhubarb compote and toasted crumble topping.
EVERYTHING YOUâ€™LL NEED FOR THESE RHUBARB CRUMBLE POTS
- Caster sugar
- An orange
- Double cream
- Whole milk
- Vanilla pod
- Plain flour
- Rolled oats
- Light brown sugar
This recipe is made of four incredible distinct layer which are a match made in heaven. The creaminess of the custard and orange cream, goes perfectly with the sweet crumble topping and the tart rhubarb compote!
Each component of the incredible pots are based off other peoples recipes. The rhubarb compote is based off of Great British Chef recipe. The Vanilla cream is based off of Jamie Oliver’s recipe and the oat crumble topping is based off of Nigel Slater’s crumble recipe.
Rhubarb Crumble Pots
- 250 g Rhubarb
- 50 g Caster sugar
- 1 Orange
- 300 ml Double cream
- 300 ml Whole milk
- 2 Eggs yolks
- 1 tbsp Caster sugar
- Â½ tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Vanilla pod
Oat Crumble Topping
- 50 g Plain flour
- 40 g Cold butter
- 30 g Rolled oats
- 50 g Light brown sugar
- Cut the rhubarb into 2cm pieces.
- Place in a saucepan with the sugar, 25ml of water and cover with a lid
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the rhubarb has broken down.
- Place to the side and allow to cool.
Whipped Orange Cream
- In a Bowl, whip the double cream until soft peaks.
- Zest in the orange and fold until fully incorporated.
- Slice the vanilla pod in half and scrap out the seeds. Pour the the milk into a pan and add the seeds. Bring the milk just to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until light and pale.
- Gradually add the warm milk to the egg mixture.
- Then pour the mixture back in the pan and cook gently for 15-20 minutes or until it thicken to your desired consistency. place to the side and allow to cool.
Oat Crumble Topping
- Blend the flour and butter together in a food processor until it forms a breadcumb texture.
- Add in the rolled oats and sugar and stir together until evenly distrubuted.
- Place on a baking tray and cook for 30 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Assemble alternating layer of rhubarb compote, vanilla custard, orange cream and oat crumble topping fishing with the crumble topping.