The aubergine bacon is smoky and crispy and makes an amazing vegan version of the ‘BLT’!
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 50 ml aquafaba (chickpea water)
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp english mustard
- 170 ml rapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 Round lettuce
- 2 beef tomato
- Rolls or bread of your choice
Makes 6 sandwiches or rolls
Vegan Bacon Method:
- Slice the aubergine length-ways thinly and place in a bowl with the rest of the vegan bacon ingredient and allow to marinade for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from the aubergine a remove and excess marinade and place on a silicon mat on a baking tray. keep the marinade as it will be brushed on half way through the cooking
- In a preheated oven at 120°C place the aubergine and cook for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway turn and brushing another thin layer of marinade.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
Aquafaba Mayo Method:
- Put aquafaba, lemon juice and mustard in a bowl and whip up with an electric whisk until it forms soft peak
- Then add the oil very slowly while continuing to whisk and the mayo should start thickening up.
- When the mayo is really thick and creamy season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Slice the tomato and break off the lettuce leave and wash them.
- Toast the bread and then assemble the BLT sandwich or roll with the mayo and aubergine bacon.
- Serve and enjoy!