This mushroom and nori toast is a vegan alternative to prawn toast. The use of seaweed gives the toast that prawn flavour. These mushroom toasts goes perfectly with a homemade sweet chilli dipping sauce.
Vegan Prawn Toast
- 400 g Mushrooms
- 4 Nori sheets
- ½ White onion
- ½ tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Lemon, juice
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 120 g White sesame seeds
- 120 g Black sesame seeds
- 5 tbsp Sesame oil
Sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 2 Red chillis
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 90 g Caster sugar
- 6 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 200 ml Water
- In a food processor blend the mushrooms, onion and olive oil until it forms a paste.
- Fry the paste in a pan on a medium heat until most of the water has evaporated off.
- Meanwhile, in a food process blitz the nori sheets until they form a powder.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the pan, add the nori powder, season with black pepper and continue to fry until most of the water has evaporated before removing it from the heat.
- Prepare a plate with white and black sesame seeds. Spread the mushroom paste on one side of the bread before placing the bread face down in the sesame seeds. Repeat this process with the remaining bread.
- Heat a pan of sesame seed oil and place the bread in the oil cooking for a couple of minutes on each side until golden (don’t worry some of the sesame seeds will fall off).
- Then place on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 160°C fan/180°C/gas mark 4 for 15-20 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Whilst the mushroom toast is in the oven, finely slice the chillies and garlic cloves and place in a pan with the white wine vinegar, caster sugar and water. Bring to the boil before reducing the heat and simmering for 5 minutes.
- Remove the mushroom toasts from the oven and cut into quarters serving alongside a dipping bowl of sweet chilli sauce.
If you want to see more recipe, sing up below for free: