A really simple vegan pumpkin pie recipes which is perfect for the holidays!
Even being from England I look forward to thanksgiving food, especially pumpkin pie! Today’s recipe is a veganised homemade version of the pumpkin pie. You will soon realise, how easy it is to make. Then you will wonder why you have never made it a home before.
It starts with a pie crust, you can either make your own or use a shop brought one to make it a really quick recipe. Then the pie crust is blind baked before filling it with the spiced pumpkin puree. If you are think what is blind baking? It simply is baking the pastry slightly before you add the filling to keep your crust nice and flaky and stopping you from having a soggy bottom. Also when you blind bake you want to place in baking beans. This prevents the pastry from rising and helps it keeps it shape.
For the pumpkin pie filling, you just have to mix all the ingredients into a bowl. The best way to prevent cracking in your pumpkin pie is to avoid over baking it! When the pumpkin pie is removed from the oven it will continue to cook from residual heat and the centre as it cools will firm up. If you do get a couple of cracks in the pumpkin pie, don’t worry, it will still taste amazing and you can easily cover them up!
- baking beans
- 500 g Vegan shortcrust pastry
- 425 g Pumpkin puree
- 180 ml Full fat coconut milk
- 150 g Light brown sugar
- 30 g Corn starch
- 50 ml Maple syrup
- 2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground ginger
- ½ tsp Ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Ground cloves
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C Fan
- Roll out the vegan shortcrust pastry to a thickness of 5mm.
- Place the rolled out pastry into the baking tin, press down around the edges. Place greasproof paper on the inside and pour in the baking beans and blind bake for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, blend together the rest of the ingredients until they form a smooth puree.
- After blind baking remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans. Pour in the pumpkin puree and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin to firm up, before moving to the fridge for 4-6 hour to set fully.
- Decorate with vegan whipped cream or coconut cream.