A really simple scandavian-style cured salmon with a modern gin and beetroot flavour twist.
- Half a side of salmon
- 1/3 cucumber
- 3 cooked small beetroots
- 200g table salt
- 200g caster sugar
- 2tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp juniper berries
- Lemon, zest
- Lime, zest
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- Prepare the salmon by checking there is no small bones and by removing the skin, then place in to a deep tray
- In a food processor place all the other ingredients except the salt and the sugar and blitz until it forms a deep red liquid
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar and salt with the liquid to form a sludgy paste.
- Pour the sludgy paste over the salmon and make sure it is completely covered.
- Cure the salmon for 24 hours turning it over halfway through. The sludgy paste should turn in to a liquid due to the osmotic difference.
- Once cured gently wash of the sludgy liquid under a cold tap
- Cut the salmon into 1 cm slices.
- Serve and enjoy!