This is a beautiful flourless chocolate and clementine roulade with a vanilla & clementine cream.
- 175g dark chocolate
- 7 clementines, zest
- 6 eggs, separated
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 300ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- In a separated bowl whip the egg whites to stiff peak
- In another separate bowl whip the egg yolk with the sugar and the zest of 4 clementines until thick and creamy.
- Mix the melt chocolate once cooled slightly into the egg yolk mixture. It will become very thick.
- Spoon in a couple of tablespoons of the eggs white into the egg yolk mixture to help it loosen up. The fold in the rest trying to keep in as much air as possible.
- Sieve in the cocoa powder and fold into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into 9inch swiss roll tin which is lined with baking parchment.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180C and bake for 22 minutes.
- once cooked, remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream, vanilla bean paste and zest of 3 clementines to just under firm peak.
- Lay out a big piece of parchment paper and dust with icing sugar. Once the chocolate sponge has cooled completely turn out of the tin top down and peel off the baking parchment.
- Spread the cream over the sponge leaving a 1cm gap around the edges.
- Starting with the short end, roll the cake up. Crack will start to appear in the roulade and there is nothing to worry about.
- Slice off both end to neaten the appearance.
- Serve & enjoy!