While studying for my degree in Food science I did various modules on emulsions and practical assessments on how to make the perfect ice cream. When it comes to vegan ice cream it can be slightly differant due to the lack of eggs and cream in the recipe.
This recipe uses blended cashew nuts to create the creamiest soft scoop ice cream. The recipe is also completely vegan and can be adapted to add whatever fillings you want.
Vanilla ice cream has always been my favourite ice cream due to its complex simple flavour. Also I love the way vanilla ice cream looks with the black specs dotted throughout. A great vanilla ice cream can be used as a base for all other ice creams, so by getting the base right it can lead to a variety of great flavours.
The reason why this vanilla coconut ice cream is so good is because it contains blended cashews, it gives the ice a lovely creamy texture and increases the protein and good fats in the recipe. Also the whipping of the coconut cream aerates the mixture giving it a lighter mouthfeel.
The cashew nuts are mixed with the sugar syrup, vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste to create the creamy texture. The use of vanilla bean paste and extract gives the ice cream a real depth of flavour.
The coconut cream is also whipped to soft peaks to aerate the ice cream and to give it a better texture.
The ingredients are then folded together to form the custard like texture before going into the ice cream machine.
Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
- Ice cream Machine
- 125 g Raw Cashews (pre-soaked overnight in water)
- 1 tin Full Fat Coconut Milk (refrigerated)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 60 g Caster Sugar
- 60 ml Water
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- Place the drained cashew nuts and blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan heat the caster sugar and water until the caster sugar is dissolved, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Pour the sugar water and the rest of the ingredients apart from the coconut milk in to the blend and continue to blend until it is smoothÂ
- Remove the cream off of the top of the coconut milk and whip with electric whisk until it forms soft peaks.Â
- Fold the whipped coconut cream into the blended nuts mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and follow the manufactures guidelines.
- Once complete spread into a loaf tin and allow to set in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
- Before serving remove from the freezer for 15-30 minutes to defrost slightly.
If you want to see more recipes like this sign up to get an email when each new recipe is posted!