There is so much science behind the perfect chocolate chip cookie. For a normal chocolate chip cookie, it is all about the ratio of flour, sugar and butter. The ratio of light brown sugar to caster sugar will affect the texture and therefore can be quite scientific.
I would say vegan cookies are even more technical to make than normal cookies due to the fact that eggs cannot be used as a binding agent. Therefore this recipe uses coconut oil as the binding agent. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature. This allows you to be able to refrigerate the mixture when it is all combined together. This means the cookies won’t spread as much in the oven.
This recipe all started when I wanted to make an egg free cookie dough for an ice cream recipe, however I had some left over and decided to bake it. It turned out ok but with a few adjustments I think I have a created a really good vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe.
The 50/50 ratio of light brown sugar to caster sugar gives the cookies a chewy centre with a crispy edge.
The coconut oil is melted and mixed with all the dry ingredients and then placed in the fridge. After refrigeration the mixture is sliced and placed on a silicon mat and put into the oven.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Large Bowl
- Baking Tray
- Silicon mat
- 130 g Plain flour
- 60 g Light brown sugar
- 60 g Caster sugar
- Â½ tsp Baking powder
- Â½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Almond milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 100 g Dark chocolate chips
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil, and pour it into the bowl with all of the other wet ingredients.
- Stir together and it will form a cookie dough texture.Â
- Wrap the mixture in clingfilm in a sausage shape and place in the fridge to set for a couple of hours.
- Preheat the oven to 160Â°C fan/ 180Â°C.
- Slice the cookie dough and place on to a silicon mat leaving room for them to spread.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, they will look slightly under done when you remove them from the oven but as they cool they will harden.Â
- Let them cool on the baking tray before transfering them to a wired rack.
- Keep in a sealed container until you serve the cookies.
If you enjoy this recipe and want to be the first to see more sign up below.