A delicious coffee & walnut cake with a whipped mascarpone cream topping and filling.
- 310g unsalted butter, softened
- 310g light brown sugar
- 375g self-raising flour
- 5 eggs
- 100g walnut, grounded
- 250ml strong coffee, cooled
- 500g mascarpone
- 300ml double cream
- 75g icing sugar
- Sprinkle cocoa powder to decorate
- Preheat the oven at 160ºC fan / 180ºC.
- Cream together the butter and light brown sugar in a bowl.
- Add in the eggs and self-raising flour and beat together until all combined.
- Pour 125ml of the coffee in the batter and add the walnuts.
- Split the batter between four 8″ inch baking tins.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once baked, allow the cakes to cool on a wired cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, beat the mascarpone with 75g icing sugar until light and fluffy
- Pour in the double cream and continue to beat until it forms a buttercream consistency.
- Use the remaining cold coffee and sprinkle over the cake layers.
- Layer the cakes with the mascarpone cream and place a thin coating around the outside to give it that semi-naked look. Allow to set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the cocoa powder and serve.