A perfect dessert for sharing over the easter period, made with a salted caramel custard and goes perfectly with ice cream.
- 12 Hot Cross Buns
- 4 egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 400ml double cream
- 200ml whole milk
- 160g salted caramel
- Slice the hot cross buns in half and place into a baking dish.
- To make the custard, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl until it forms pale ribbons.
- Meanwhile heat the double cream and milk until it reaches a boil then remove from the heat.
- Pour the heated mixture slowly on top of the beaten eggs whilst continuing to whisk. Then whisk in the salted caramel sauce.
- Pour the salted caramel custard over the hot cross buns and allow to soak in for 10 minutes.
- Then bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!