Delicious pancetta, parmesan and spring onion filled savoury scones which can be served hot or cold.
- 500g self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 125g butter
- 160g smoked pancetta
- 8 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200g parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 medium eggs
- 150ml milk
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- In a bowl sieve the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add in the cold butter and rub together until it forms a breadcrumb texture.
- In a frying pan cook the pancetta until it goes crispy.
- Add the pancetta, spring onion, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and 150g of the grated cheese.
- In a jug beat the milk and the two eggs together and then add it to the mixture. With a wooden spoon pull the mixture together until it forms a soft dough.
- Place the dough on the work surface and knead very lightly.
- Roll the dough out to a thickens of 3cm and use a circular cutter to cut out the scones.
- Place on a baking tray and glaze with a beaten egg and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- place in the oven for 14-15 minutes until they are golden in colour.
- Once cooked, place the scones on a cooling rack.
- Best to serve warm with cheese and chutney.