A classic paris-brest choux pastry filled with a praline cream and topped with caramelised hazelnuts.
- 120g Water
- 120g Whole Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Â Sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 120g white bread flour
- 215g whole eggs (beaten together)
- 30g flaked almonds
- 100g bleached hazelnut
- 200g caster sugar
- 500ml double cream
- Icing sugar to decorate
- In a saucepan heat the whole milk, water, butter, salt and sugar until it reaches a rolling boil.
- Then remove the pan from the heat pour in the plain flour and beat with a wooden spoon until it is all combined.
- Then place back on the heat and continue to beat with a wooden spoon for another 3-4 Â minutes. It will form a smooth soft dough texture.
- Place the mixture in to a stand mixture and slowly add in the egg until the mixture is all combined together. It will form a stick dough texture.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a round top nozzle and pipe two 7 inch diameter circle next to each other and then pipe one on top of them.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top.
- Place in the preheated oven at 180ÂºC for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on top. However this time many vary dependent on the oven.
- Meanwhile whilst cooking, melt the sugar in a pan to make a dry caramel, until the pan has reach a deep amber colour.
- For decoration, dip a few hazelnut on the end of a cocktail stick Â into the caramel. Then add the remaining hazelnut, mix together and pour out onto a sheet of baking parchment and allow to cool.
- Once cool, place the hazelnut brittle in a food processor and blend until it forms a thick runny paste. You may need to add a little water to form the paste.
- Whip the cream to just under soft peaks, then add the hazelnut paste whist it is still mixing until all is combined and it forms soft peaks. Place the cream into a pipping bad with a star nozzle.
- After finished cooking turn the oven off and leave the oven door at a jar and allow to cool for 15 minutes in the oven before removing.
- Slice the choux pastry in half and pipe backwards and forwards around the ring.
- Place the choux pastry lid on top and sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Pip a few more cream spots on top of the lid and place the caramelised hazelnuts on top.
- Serve & enjoy!