A simple salted caramel sauce which is perfect on ice cream, pancakes or can be used in lots of recipes.
- 200g granulated sugar
- 50ml water
- 60g salted butter, cut into small pieces
- 170ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Add the sugar and water to a pan on a medium heat.
- Simmer the sugar mixture until it reaches a deep amber colour.
- As soon as the caramel reaches this point, remove the pan from the heat, add in the double cream and swirl in the pan until it reaches a light amber colour.
- Follow the cream by adding small chunks of the butter and whisk until a smooth caramel is formed.
- Sprinkle in the salt and leave to one side.
- Pour into a jar and allow to cool before refrigeration.