You probably guessed by now but salted caramel is one of my favourite things in the world to eat. I could literally eat it out of the jar, however it’s not the healthiest thing! These Cupcakes have a vanilla buttercream and drizzled in salted caramel with pieces of Scottish tablet.
Scottish tablet is a crystallised version of fudge. To make tablet you continue to whisk the mixture as it cools instead of leaving it alone if making fudge. This creates bigger crystal structures.
EVERYTHING YOU’LL NEED FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL & TABLET CUPCAKES
- Vegetable oil
- Self-raising flour
- Icing sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Salted caramel (shop bought or homemade)
- Scottish tablet
Salted Caramel & Tablet Cupcakes
You probably guessed by now but salted caramel is one of my favourite things in the world to eat. I could literally eat it out of the jar, however it's not the healthiest thing! These Cupcakes have a vanilla buttercream and drizzled in salted caramel with pieces of Scottish tablet.
- 200 ml Condensed milk
- 75 ml Milk
- 225 g Light brown sugar
- 60 g Butter
- 125 ml Vegetable oil
- 250 ml Milk
- 400 g Self-raising flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 250 g Caster sugar
- 500 g Icing sugar
- 250 g Butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g Salted caramel
- Place all the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil
- Continue to boil the mixture constantly stirring to stop it catching on the bottom.
- When the sugar reaches soft ball temperature of 115°C remove from the heat and continue to whisk.
- Once the texture turns matte, pour in to a lined tin and leave on the side to cool, before placing in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan/ gas 4 and fill a 12 muffin tray with cases.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in the milk and the vegetable oil, beat until just combined then add the caster sugar and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold in the sieved self-raising flour and salt. You don't want to over mix the mixture as this can lead to a muffin with a tough texture.
- Split the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases, but don't fill above ¾ of the case.
- Place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Then place on a wired cooling rack.
- In a bowl, mix together the butter and icing sugar. Once combined together add in the vanilla extract and mix it through.
- Place the buttercream into a piping bag, and pipe around the top of the fully cooled muffins.
- Then pour over the salted caramel sauce and place bits of broken tablet on top.